The homemade version of Poha Chivda is much better and healthier
Hii Foodies!!! How are you all??? Poha Chivda as the name suggests is a quick and easy tea time snack made with poha (flattened rice), dry fruits, peanuts, and spices. Traditionally it belongs to maharashtrian cuisine, but is also a spicy snack of north karnataka made with thin flattened rice and other spices. While in many households it is popularly consumed as an evening snack with a cup of tea, it is popular during festive time specially during Diwali time. The reason behind its popularity is that it is simple and easy to prepare, and the best part to make this is it lasts for a couple of weeks. Another gujrati version is also available which is more sweet in taste. While you can easily find it at Indian grocery stores, the homemade version is much better and healthier. So please try this homemade version of Poha Chivda and make your diwali snacking fun.
Scroll down to get the recipe of Poha Chivda
- 3 cup thin Poha
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup Peanuts (Moongphali)
- Some Cashew (Kaju)
- 2 tbsp Gram Dal (Chane ki Dal)
- 2 tbsp dry chopped Coconut (Nariyal)
- 1 tsp Cumin (jeera)
- 2 dried Red Chilli (sukhi lal mirch)
- pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- few curry leaves
- ¼ tsp Turmeric (haldi)
- ¼ tsp Salt
Preparation before Recipe
- Arrange all the ingredients and make sure you use thin poha.
- Put a tawa on medium flame dry roast 3 cups of thin poha, roast until poha turns crisp. Keep aside.
Poha Chivda Recipe: Step By Step
- Take a large pan and heat 2 tbsp oil, now roast ¼ cup peanuts, 2 tbsp gram dal, some cashews and 2 tbsp dry coconut on low flame to golden and crunch.
- Now add 1 tsp cumin, 2 dried red chilli, a pinch of asafoetida and few curry leaves.
- Saute and allow them to splutter.
- To this add ¼ tsp turmeric and ¼ tsp salt and mix everything gently.
- Finally add roasted poha and again give a gentle mix. Turn off the flame and allow the mixture to cool.
- Your poha chivda is ready to serve and store in an airtight container.
- You can sundry thin poha for 30 minutes or 1 hour so it turns ultra crisp and flaky.
- You can also microwave poha for 1 minute.
- Use only thin poha as it roasts up nicely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Poha Chivda is made with poha (flattened rice), dry fruits, peanuts, and spices.
Yes!!! Poha Chivda is very low in calories. It has about 76.9% of carbohydrates and 23% fat makes it a good option for diet.
One cup of Poha Chivda gives 180 calories.
No!! It is a perfect diet food and one of the most ideal choices for weight loss. But only homemade ones are healthier that are sauté but don’t fried.
No!! it is not eaten in fast.
Keep reading to get more..!!!!
Thanks for visiting
Foodie Nut Says Eat Healthy Stay Fit!!!!foodie nut