Curry powder is a blend of spices and herbs originating from India used to flavor food. Do you know Curry has spread around the world from India? But interestingly, the word “curry” is actually a creation of the West. It appeared in British cookbooks in the 18th century. Now it will be so much more fun when you make this world spread spice at home. This allows you to customize it to your own personal tastes.
We are here with a basic curry powder recipe that is made from spices that you already have in your home pantry. Curry powder can be used in any simple curry dish for easy exotic cooking. Although homemade curry powder can last for a long time, it is best to use it within 3 months. It will start to lose potency after 3 months. Curry is best stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.
Curry Powder Recipe Ingredients
1 tablespoon turmeric
3 tablespoons coriander
2 tablespoons cumin seed
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 to 3 teaspoons chilli flakes
1 clove (whole or a pinch of ground)
1 tablespoon cardamom
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne powder
Curry Powder Recipe: Step By Step
- Place all ingredients in a dry frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Stir continuously for 1 minute, or until the pan is very hot.
- Then reduce heat to medium and continue stirring 6 to 10 minutes.
- This will lightly toast the spices, leaving them even more fragrant and tasty.
- Place toasted spices in the grinder and grind well to make your curry powder.
- Store it in an airtight container.
Tip: To add extra flavours to your curry don’t forget to add 1 to 2 bay leaves to your curry pan.
Nutrition Value of Curry Powder
Serving Size 1 tsp Amount Per Serving
|Value Per Serving||% Daily Needs|
|Calories from Fat||2|
|Vitamin A 0%||Vitamin C 0%|
|Calcium 1%||Iron 3%|
|Vitamin B6 1%||Magnesium 1%|
|Phosphorus 1%||Zinc 1%|
* Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet and Nutrition value is rough estimate for 1 teaspoon of Curry Powder.
Keep reading to get more
Thanks for visiting
Foodie Nut Says Eat Healthy Stay Fit!!!!