Imli / Tamarind have been an integral part of kitchens in India. Originated in the regions of Africa it not only provides a tarty flavour to our dishes, but also possesses many health benefits too. One of the best ways to use tamarind is to make dipping sauce (Imli / Tamarind Chutney) for Indian fried snacks like pakodas, bread pakodas, chaat, kachori and samosas. It helps in converting simple dishes to exotic one.
The sweet and tangy chutney is made with tamarind, jaggery, ginger powder and black salt. It is also known as saunth chutney. This Imli / Tamarind chutney is so delicious that you may end up eating the entire jar. This is Vegan, Gluten Free and can be refrigerated for a long time. If you want to make this tangy lip smacking Imli / Tamarind Chutney at home, then here is a simple recipe.
Imli / Tamarind Chutney Ingredients
• ½ cup seedless tamarind, tightly packed (imli)
• 2 cups water
• ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
• ½ teaspoon saunth powder (ginger powder)
• a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
• ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
• 7 to 8 tablespoon jaggery or as required
• 1 teaspoon oil
• Black salt
Imli / Tamarind Chutney Recipe: Step By Step
1. Soak ½ cup seedless tamarind in water, overnight or for 4-5 hours.
2. Squeeze the pulp from the tamarind in a bowl or pan. strain the pulp and keep aside.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small pan. Lower the flame & add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and let them crackle.
4. Then add ½ teaspoon saunth powder (ginger powder), ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder and a pinch asafoetida.
5. Stir and then add the strained tamarind pulp from step 2. Cook for 2-3 mins.
6. Add the jaggery and black salt and cook for another 4-5 minutes till the chutney mixture thickens a bit.
7. Let the mixture cool, Imli / Tamarind Chutney is ready. Store it in an air-tight dry jar or container. Refrigerate and serve whenever required.
Adjust the consistency of the chutney by adding water.
If jaggery is not available then as an alternative option you can add sugar. Add the sugar as per requirement.
Nutrition Value of Imli / Tamarind Chutney
|Calorie||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
|Vitamin A 0%||Vitamin C 2%|
|Calcium 0%||Iron 0%|
*Nutrition value is rough estimate for 1 tbsp
Foodie Nut Says Eat Healthy Stay Fit!!!!