Nariyal/ Coconut chutney is enriched with the goodness of nature and is a great combination of taste and health benefits. Along with Dosa, Vada and Idli you can pair this chutney with other South Indian dishes like Paniyaram, Appam, Upma and Pongal. You can also eat this chutney with other Indian dishes as well. Making Nariyal/ Coconut chutney at home has its own benefits. You can keep a check on the quality of ingredients and can make according to your palate. This traditional South Indian delicacy can be paired with your boring recipes. So do you want to make restaurant style Nariyal / Coconut chutney at home?? Here’s the lip-smacking recipe.
1 cup roughly chopped Fresh Coconut
2 Green Chillies, chopped
1 tbsp Roasted Chana Dal
1 tsp Lemon Juice or Tamarind Paste
1/2 cup Water
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
4-5 Curry Leaves
1 Dry Red Chilli
1 tsp Oil
Nariyal/ Coconut Chutney Recipe: Step By Step
1. In a blender take roughly chopped 1 cup coconut, 1 tbsp roasted chana dal, 2 chopped green chilli, 1 tsp tamarind paste or lemon juice and salt.
2. Add in 1/2 cup water as required depending on the variety of coconut used. If using desiccated coconut, then use warm water while grinding. If you are using fresh coconut then no need to use warm water.
3. Blend till you get a smooth paste, add more water if required.
4. For tempering, first add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and let the cumin seeds to get browned. Add 1 red dry chilli, a pinch of asafoetida and 4 to 5 curry leaves. Stir and fry till the red chillies change their color and the curry leaves become crisp.
5. Pour all the tempering mixture on the chutney.
6. Your Nariyal / Coconut chutney is ready to serve.
Add roasted peanuts for adding extra flavour.
Add coriander leaves for different flavour.
To give your nariyal/coconut chutney a nice smooth texture, you can add some fresh cream.
Nutrition Value of Coconut Chutney
Serving Size 1 tbsp Amount Per Serving
|Cal||Value Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories from Fat||35|
|Vitamin A 0%||Vitamin C 0%|
|Calcium 2%||Iron 6%|